If you look long enough you can find some amazing things in the countryside. Ipswich, where I live, seems to be blessed with some great subjects, interesting locations, and amazing views. I never get tired of discovering new things, especially when they are super photogenic.
There is a long history of rail in Ipswich that continues to be strong to this day. A visit to the Workshops Rail Museum in town is a must do for anyone living or visiting the region. You can also go for a ride on a working steam train run by the Queensland Pioneer Steam Railway out of Ipswich.
So when I found a location that had some beautiful locomotives in their final resting place I knew it would make an amazing photograph. For my first visit here I decided to try it for a sunrise. Arriving around 30 minutes before sunrise I walked around checking out various angles and framing. There are actually 3 locomotives here, plus extra carriages but I decided to focus just on the two lead engines.
It was a bit touch and go if there was going to be any colour, but a few minutes after sunrise, the top clouds lit up with golden hues contrasting against the blue sky, and I found this to be a really nice framing to the amazing colour and detail of the locomotives. I spent a bit of time in post processing on this one, really working on the detail of the trains to show all that weathering and age.
I’m looking forward to visiting this amazing location again, I really want to try and create an astro photograph with these wonderful old steel horses.
Here is a list of the gear I use. These are affiliate links, by following them and making a purchase you help support my photography at no extra cost to yourself.
* Camera : Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mk II Body Only – Silver
* Canon FD to M43rd Adapter : K&F Concept Lens Mount Adapter for Canon FD Lens to Micro 4/3 Cameras
* My Goto Landscape Lens : Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 12-40mm f2.8 PRO Black Len
* My Favourite Tripod : ZOMEi Z818C Carbon Fiber Camera Tripod With Quick Release Plate and Ball Head (Blue)
* Best Budget Filters Ever : Zomei 10 in 1 Square Z-PRO Series Filter Kit
* Best Budget Portrait Lens Made! : Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 45mm F1.8 (Black) Lens
* The Perfect Walkaround Lens : Panasonic 20mm F/1.7 Pancake Lens
* A great CPL for your 12-40mm : Manfrotto MFESSCPL-62 62 mm Essential Circular Polarizer Filter
* The Best Aftermarket Battery Kit : DSTE 2X BLN-1 Battery + DC133 Travel and Car Charger Adapter
All of my photographs are available for purchase as Fine Art Prints in A2 and A3 size, as well as ready to hang Canvas Prints. Just contact me for pricing.
Be sure to visit at least weekly to keep up to date with my latest blog posts and can I suggest subscribing to my email list to receive occasional Tips, Ideas, News of Prints and Offers.
You can also follow me on Facebook or Twitter where I’ll post links to each new blog post as it happens, also follow me on Instagram where I post up my photographs, and My Story will have lots of behind the scenes photos and videos.